Learn how to make a fun Latin dish with a vegan twist!
Vegan Ceviche on The Healthy Voyager’s Global Kitchen!
Enjoy a flavorful and refreshing dish
with this fun, healthy and easy recipe by The Healthy Voyager!
Watch the video below!
- 1 quart lightly salted water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup oyster or Portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup hearts of palm, drained and finely chopped (do your best to find them palm hearts that are not canned with salt water)
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus several sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 cup jicama, finely diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Several lime slices, for garnish
- Crackers or tortilla chips for serving
Bring 1 quart salted water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Add mushrooms & hearts of palm, cover and return to a boil. Immediately remove from heat and drain water. Cover with the lid and set aside, letting mushrooms and palm hearts steam in closed pot for 10 minutes.
Drain mushrooms and palm hearts again to remove remaining liquid and put in large bowl to cool completely. Toss with remaining 1/2 cup of lime juice, cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
In a small strainer, rinse chopped onion under cold water, then shake off excess liquid. Add to mushroom and palm heart bowl along with chopped cilantro, garlic, olive oil, cucumber, jicama, tomato and avocado. Mix gently and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours. Spoon the ceviche into martini glasses or small bowls. Garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of lime. Serve with crackers or tortilla chips.