We are gearing up for the season of comforting sweets what with the onset of Halloween and the holidays just around the corner. Get a head start on some fun baking with my peanut brittley bread pudding! Just in time for an early, candy filled, Halloween treat!
- 2-1/4 cups almond or coconut milk
- 4 egg replacers (mixed)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups dry French, Italian, or sourdough bread cubes*
- 1 cup coarsely chopped vegan peanut brittle
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon rum or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon banana liqueur, creme de cacao, or orange juice
- vegan vanilla ice cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl beat together milk, egg replacer, granulated sugar, vanilla, orange peel, and cinnamon. Place bread cubes in an ungreased 2-quart square baking dish. Pour mixture evenly over bread cubes. Sprinkle with chopped peanut brittle.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly. Serve warm with Bananas Foster Sauce (below)and vanilla ice cream, if desired. Makes 8 servings with 3 tablespoons sauce.
Sauce: In a large skillet melt vegan butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar until melted. Add bananas. Cook and gently stir over medium heat about 1 minute or until heated through. Remove from heat. Stir in cinnamon, rum or orange juice, and banana liqueur, creme de cacao, or orange juice. Serve immediately with bread pudding. Makes 1-1/2 cups sauce.
*To dry bread cubes: Place bread cubes in a large pan and bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until dry but not brown, stirring twice.