Who doesn’t love breaded chicken? Basically this is the Latin version of the Italian favorite, Chicken Parmesan, however most of the time, folks skip the tomato sauce and even the cheese. Either way, it fabulous Latin comfort food. The crisp breading with all the flavors of the onions and garlic are to die for!
• 4 vegan chicken fillets (such as Gardein)
• 1 medium lime
• 2 tablespoons of grated onions
• 4 cloves of minced garlic
• 1/2 teaspoon of salt
• 1/8 teaspoon powdered thyme
• 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire
• 1 teaspoon soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1/2 cup of safflower oil, frying (or preferred high heat oil)
• 1 cup of flour
• 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
• Vegan egg wash, double this recipe (1 tablespoon ground flax seed with 3 tablespoons soy milk. After mixing, add this to 1/4 tablespoon more soy milk to make the “egg wash”.)
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
Rub the chicken fillets with the lime, squeezing as you go to be sure there is enough juice to rub into them. Pat dry with a paper towel.
In a container prepare a marinade by mixing the grated onion, garlic, salt, thyme, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and tablespoon of oil. Add the chickento the marinade and set aside for 30 minutes to an hour. Bring the frying oil to boil in a large skillet.
In a container beat the “egg wash” and salt with wire whisk. In another container put the flour and bread crumbs in another. Breasts are passed first through the flour, then egg wash and then bread crumbs, add the chicken when it is fully coated to the pan and fry until well browned, turning frequently to brown evenly without burning. Try serving with rice & citrusy salad as well as wedges of lime.
Yields 6 to 8 servings