To fool or not to fool, that is the question! This meatloaf is so moist, cheesy, tomatoey and full of flavor, omnivores and herbivores alike will clamor for seconds and thirds of this meatless dish. So easy, you’ll want to double and triple the recipe for leftover meals like “meat”loaf sandwiches and beyond!
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon minced garlic, depending on taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus extra for brushing loaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 cup tomato sauce (pasta sauce of your choice) plus extra for serving
- 1 package of Match Vegan Ground Beef, thawed (or vegan ground beef of choice)
- 1 cup Daiya Mozzarella Shredded Cheese, or mix of mozzarella & cheddar (or vegan shredded cheese of your choice)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
In a medium saucepan, saute onion, garlic, pepper and celery in the olive oil over medium heat until translucent. Season with herbs, salt & pepper. Pour mixture into food processor and pulse until finely minced, but not pureed.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a medium sized loaf pan.
Pour minced mix into a large mixing bowl along with the breadcrumbs, cheese and beef. Mix well until all ingredients are well incorporated. Add in tomato sauce, a tablespoon at a time, up to half a cup, until well incorporated. Add extra herbs and/or seasoning to taste.
Add mixture to a loaf pan and form into a loaf or fill the pan evenly, making sure the mixture is packed tightly. Brush with additional olive oil so that the top crisps up during baking. Bake for 10 minutes and pour remaining sauce on top, covering the loaf entirely and evenly. Return to oven and bake for an additional 30 to 45 minutes, making sure not to burn.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes, slice and serve! You may want to add more sauce after plating for extra zing as well as garnishing with fresh basil, yum!
Enjoy on Meatless Monday