The days are getting shorter, the nights chillier and the food yummier! Nothing beats a nice hot bowl of hearty soup on a fall evening. This twist on an Italian favorite incorporates the flavors of autumn and packs a nutritious punch to boot! Enjoy the fall time soup that eats like a meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 bulb fennel, cut into 1-by-1/4-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (35 ounces) whole tomatoes, lightly crushed
- 8 cups vegan chicken broth (made with vegan chicken bullion) or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 1/2 bunches Swiss chard leaves, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups cooked elbow or fussili pasta
- Vegan Parmesan, nutritional yeast or finely ground pumpkin seeds for garnish
Heat oil in an 8-quart stock pot over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, fennel, potatoes, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes and their juices, stock, and cannellini beans; season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, add in the zucchini and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in vinegar and Swiss chard; season with salt and pepper. Divide pasta evenly between 6 to 8 bowls. Ladle over soup and garnish with cheese or ground seeds. Serve immediately with a hunk of crusty bread and enjoy!