One of the best things you can do for yourself is starting a new fitness program. As you all know, exercising can help improve your coordination and balance, while reducing your risk of chronic diseases. There’s also people who exercise to lose weight, improved self-esteem, and sleeping habits.
But whatever your reason is for following a fitness program, you need to consider some things first. This will ensure that you’ll be ready both physically and mentally once you start following a fitness program.
Things to do before you get started with your fitness program
Assessing your fitness level
You can assess yourself on how fit you are. Knowing your fitness level will help your body composition, flexibility, muscular and aerobic fitness. It’d be best to record the following:
- Body mass index.
- Waist circumference, which is above your hip bones.
- Number of standard pushups, half sit-ups, or modified pushups you can do.
- The time it takes for you to walk 400 meters or a mile.
- The time it takes for you to run 2.41 km or 1.5 miles.
- Pulse rate before walking.
- Pulse rate right after walking a mile.
Create a fitness program
Saying that you’ll exercise every day is easy, but to do this, you need to create a plan. When creating your fitness program, you need to take note of these things:
- Write it down—Start writing your plan as this can help you to follow it.
- Know your fitness goals—Think of why you want to follow a fitness program. Is it because you’re trying to lose weight? Are you planning to join a marathon in a few months time? Knowing what your fitness goals are can help you to stay motivated and keep track of your progress.
- Create a routine—It would be best to get at least 75 minutes of intense aerobic and 150 minutes of moderate exercise activity every week. You can combine these two activities to make your work out more fun. Don’t forget to include strength training in between aerobics for at least a couple of times a week.
- Avoid rushing—Some people tend to get overly excited when they start a fitness program. The truth is, you need to start slow and cautiously. If you’re suffering from any medical condition or injury, consulting your physician would be best. You can also ask a physical therapist to assist you in designing your fitness program.
- Incorporate a fun activity—Some people find it hard to stick to a fitness program. The best thing that you can do is incorporate a fun activity for your fitness program. You can start watching your favorite TV show while you’re using a treadmill or while biking.
- Let your body recover—Once you’re done working out, whether you did a low-impact or an intense workout, you need to let your body heal. Plan the time between rest and workout sessions, to avoid injuring yourself.
Prepare your equipment
The first thing you need to prepare is athletic shoes. You need to be sure you choose the right shoes for the fitness program you have in mind. You can opt for more supportive shoes, like cross-training ones. But if you’re going to do some running, then shoes that are light in weight are ideal.
If you plan to invest in exercise equipment, then choosing something that’s easy to use, enjoyable, and practical is ideal. Before purchasing one, you can try different kinds of equipment at a fitness store. Lastly, investing in Smart devices is also ideal to track your distance, heart rate, and the calories burned.
Keep track of your progress
After six weeks, you can retake the personal assessment that you took before you start your fitness program. For you to keep on improving, you need to increase the intensity or the time you workout. You need to keep on retaking the personal assessment after a few months so you can adjust the intensity and time you exercise.
If you start losing motivation, you can try new activities or create new goals. You can try exercising with your friend or taking specific classes at the gym.
Starting a fitness program is one of the most important decisions that you’ll have. It can also be overwhelming, which is why planning it carefully and preparing yourself physically and mentally is ideal. Keep yourself motivated so that you can build a healthy habit for a lifetime.