Do you like Italian food? Do you like Mexican food? How about combining lasagna and enchiladas in 1 yummy dish? A quick and delicious way to feed a family or even cook for a party, this south of the border casserole will be a favorite recipe to pull out on any weeknight or weekend. Enjoy!!
- 2 dried chipotle chiles, stems and seeds removed, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cups vegan chicken broth (from box or made from vegan chicken bullion)
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
To Assemble Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon safflower or vegetable oil
- 2 packages vegan chicken breasts (like Gardein chicken picatta), cubed (you may also use 2 packages of pressed and drained extra firm tofu or 4 packages of tempeh) or sub 2 cans of vegan refried beans
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 heaping cups chopped spinach
- 3 cups vegan shredded Monterey Jack, Cheddar, or PepperJack (or a mix of all 3, such as Daiya cheeses)
- Nonstick cooking spray or vegan butter, for greasing baking dish
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, cold and cubed
- Sliced olives
- Vegan sour cream
- Pico de Gallo
- Chopped cilantro
Combine the chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin, broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until the chiles are soft. Set aside until ready to use.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the chicken until cooked through, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and place in a medium bowl. Add the onions to the same pan along with a generous pinch of salt, decrease the heat to medium-low and sweat for 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and oregano and cook until the onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the chicken back to the pan and remove from the heat.
Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Place 1/2 cup of the sauce into the bottom of the dish. Dip 4 tortillas into the remaining sauce and lay them into the bottom of the dish. Cut 1 of the tortillas in half to evenly cover the bottom of the dish. Top this with half of the chicken mixture, 1 cup of spinach and 1 cup of the cheese. Starting with 4 more tortillas, repeat the layers, ending with the last 4 tortillas on top. Pour remaining sauce over the dish and top with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Top with cubes of cold vegan butter.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20-30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese on top is bubbly. Serve and top with a dollop of sour cream, olives, pico de gallo, guacamole and/or cilantro.