Your thyroid is one of the body’s most important glands. Unfortunately, it’s also commonly mismanaged. The thyroid, which is found in the front of your neck, has a host of responsibilities, including managing weight, determining how the body uses energy, metabolizing food and helping you sleep. Women are at a higher risk for thyroid conditions due to their shifting hormones during pregnancy and menopause. Both men and women can suffer from stress-related thyroid problems.
Here’s how to provide better care for your thyroid.
1. Get plenty of nutrients that support the thyroid. Iodine, B vitamins, selenium, and zinc are three nutrients that are important for thyroid health. Or, consider taking Thyrosine, a supplement that’s full of the vitamins and minerals needed for thyroid health.
2. Eat the right foods to support the thyroid. Sea vegetables, like kelp, plus seafood, eggs, spinach, asparagus, garlic, mushrooms and lima beans contain iodine. Selenium-containing foods include tuna, beef, mushrooms, sunflower seeds, organ meats and soybeans.You should also add other healthy foods, like whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruit, to your diet. Plus, dark chocolate, which contains copper, is also good for your thyroid!
3. Steer clear of foods that could distribute your thyroid’s functioning. Foods that contain soy may block iodine from getting to the thyroid. The Brassica family of veggies, including cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower, may act in a similar way to soy. Also, some people experience a connection between Celiac Disease, which is a gluten intolerance, and thyroid issues.
4. Limit the amount of stress in your life. When you suffer from chronic stress, you could produce more cortisol then you need, which can eventually affect the thyroid hormones by overworking them. This can lead to hypothyroidism. To keep your stress in check, try to eat more often. Aim for three balanced meals and two healthy snacks each day.
5. Add delicious herbs to your meals. Sage and ashwaganda, for example, support thyroid function, along with improving your energy and metabolism. Visit a specialist to get the right formula for your body.
Instead of worrying about your thyroid, try to focus your energy on doing the things that are good for it. If you’re concerned that there’s a serious problem, visit a doctor. Ask your doctor for a complete thyroid panel and have the check your nutrient levels.