The grill isn’t just for burgers, hot dogs and kebabs. No siree, you can make delicious, crispity, crunchity pizzas on them too! A fun way to utilize your grill just a little bit more and make backyard dining a little less “barbecue-y”! Make either of the grilled flatbread recipes or after you’ve made the dough, have fun topping and grilling it with your favorite fixins!
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (105 to 110 degrees F)
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive, plus more for bowl
Mix water and yeast in a large bowl and let stand 5 minutes to proof. Gradually pour in 2 cups of the flour and stir to incorporate. Mix for about 1 minute to form a sponge. Let stand, covered, for at least an hour.
Put sponge in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the dough hook, add the salt and oil, then add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a dough. Remove from bowl and knead. Place in a clean oiled bowl and let rise, slowly, about 2 1/2 hours. Divide dough into 4 balls, if desired, let rise again for 1/2 hour, and then roll out as desired.
Roasted Garlic Oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cloves roasted garlic
Place oil and garlic in a blender and blend until smooth. Strain.
Flatten flatbread dough, gently press into a large rectangle, brush liberally with garlic oil, and throw on grill. Grill on both sides until golden brown.
Gourmet Pizza Bianca Grilled Flatbread
- Vegan ricotta cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 plum tomatoes, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Spread 1 side with ricotta, sprinkle with salt and pepper, scatter tomatoes over, drizzle with Roasted Garlic Oil, and garnish with basil and more freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
- Grilled Flatbread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoons sugar or agave
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups salad greens (such as radicchio, endive, and arugula), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
About 10 minutes before grilling flatbread, prepare salad topping: In large bowl, with wire whisk, mix olive oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper until dressing is blended.
Add salad greens, tomatoes, and cucumber to dressing in bowl, toss to coat well. Set salad aside then grill flatbreads.
To serve, top each flatbread with about 2 cups salad. Cut each round into quarters.
Grilled Chicken Alfredo Flatbread
- 1 vegan chicken breast, cooked and sliced
- 1 cup vegan alfredo sauce (below)
- 1/2 to 1 grilled red pepper
- 1/4 cup vegan shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove
Preheat grill to 350 degrees. Peel garlic clove, cut in half, and rub cut garlic clove over the flat bread. Place cooked sliced chicken breast onto flatbread, coat the bread with Alfredo sauce, top with half of the grilled red peppers, and add sprinkle over mozzarella cheese on top of everything. Place onto grill and heat until the mozzarella cheese melts, this should take 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from grill, and top with remaining grilled red peppers and add chopped basil before serving.
- 2 cups vegan heavy cream
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Heat heavy cream over low-medium heat in a deep saute pan. Add butter and whisk gently to melt. Sprinkle in garlic, cheese and nutritional yeast and stir to incorporate well. Season with salt and pepper and when served, garnish with chopped parsley.