Breakfast burritos are hearty and fun to eat. They’re fabulous for breakfast, brunch, lunch and even dinner what with all the yummy ingredients you can squeeze into a fat tortilla. This Caribbean version is a delicious twist on the Mexican inspired AM dish. Make big ones, or little ones, but either way, make enough for everyone to enjoy!
- 2-4 organic flour tortillas
- 1 recipe Caribbean tofu scramble
- Sweet plantains (recipe below)
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
Caribbean Tofu Scramble
- 1 large block of firm tofu, pressed, drained and cubed or crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped (whites and greens)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 heaping handful cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large pan, saute the tofu, garlic, onions for about 1 minute over medium heat. Add in the beans, tomato, cumin, turmeric and lime juice and mix in well. Cook for about another minute, season with salt and pepper and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes for the flavors to marry well. Add in the cilantro in the last 30 seconds of cooking. Set aside.
- 2 to 3 ripe black plantains
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
To peel the plantains, cut off ends and discard. With a paring knife, make 3 shallow slits lengthwise along the seams of the skin and peel away. Split the plantains lengthwise.
Heat 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet and place over medium low heat (plantains have a high sugar content and will burn if the heat is too high.) Fry the plantains in a single layer, until golden on the bottom then turn over with a spatula. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar and let cook a few more seconds, just to begin caramelizing the sugar.
To assemble the burrito:
Warm your tortillas in a large pan so that they are soft and easy to roll. In the center of each tortilla, spoon in half of the tofu scramble in, then add the cooked sliced plantains and avocado. Roll the longest side of the tortilla over the pile, then fold in the sides and roll until your burrito has taken shape. Slice diagonally or eat as one big burrito, serve with salsa for dipping.