Ok, so the whole point of Halloween seems to be candy and other creepy , sugar laden treats. But why not strike a balance with a few healthier options? Especially if you’re throwing a party or heading to someone else’s ghoul fest,think of making a few more veggie base options to break up the fright fest of sugar. You can have just as much color and creativity using fruit, veggies nuts and seeds and you’d be surprised at what a welcomed addtion these will be to any Halloween haunt!
- When baking, go for natural, non processed sugar. You will avoid the crash and burn (especially kids) and will keep you from over eating more junk. To replace white sugar try: Agave Nectar, Barley Malt, Brown Rice Syrup, Molasses,Xylitol (Great for diabetics), Maple Syrup or Stevia.
- Baking with whole grain or gluten free flours will be much more healthy and more easily digestible then all purpose white flour.
- Get really creative and make your own recipes using the lists above as inspiration. Aim for lots of colors and textures, and try new ingredients, and you’ll never be bored with healthy eating.
- Create homemade meals and treats whenever possible. Pre-packaged and fast food is loaded with sugar, chemicals, trans-fats, sodium, artificial colors & flavorings, not to mention, hidden animal products.
- Eat healthy foods first and save treats for dessert time. If you fill up on real food, you will be less likely to over indulge on junk food.
- Drink plenty of water. We often mistake thirst for hunger (especially when eating too much sugar), which causes us to over eat.
- Eat lots of raw fruits and veggies! You will get load of enzymes that aid in digestion, detoxing, and repairing your body. To avoid a tummy ache, eat fruit by itself, preferably on an empty stomach.
The healthier you are the less likely you will crave the sugary garbage. And even if you do slip up, you won’t fall off the edge ; ) Have a Healthy Halloween!!