Spring is near and lighter fare will soon be welcomed! Why not welcome spring with a yummy dessert? These baby sized strawberry shortcakes are always fun at a get together or even just as a treat. Easy to make and quick to be gone because they are beloved by all!
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and quartered (frozen are fine once they are thawed but fresh is best!)
- 1/4 cup organic or raw sugar plus 3 tablespoons sugar, plus 8 teaspoons
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter, cold and cubed
- 2/3 cup vegan creamer, plus 1/4 cup (coconut or almond milk creamer is perfect!)
- Vegan whipped cream (or sub vegan vanilla ice cream during hot months!)
- Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a medium mixing bowl, toss the strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar together. Set aside until time to serve.
In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, baking powder, salt and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Then pulse in the cold butter cubes until a coarse meal is formed. Turn the flour mixture out into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Pour in 2/3 cup creamer and gently mix it in with a rubber spatula or fork, be careful not to over mix the dough or the biscuits will be tough.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and fold it over itself a couple of times until it just holds together. Pat the dough out to 3/4-inch thickness and cut out 8 round 3-inch biscuits.
Transfer the biscuits to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush the tops of each biscuit with the remaining creamer and sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon sugar. Bake in a preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until the biscuits have risen and are a light golden brown.
Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Split each biscuit in half, spoon some strawberries on the bottom piece, then whipped cream and top with the other biscuit half. Garnish with fresh mint, more strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!