Celebrate the orange gourd now and later with my vegan pumpkin coconut soup recipe!
- 1 large white onion onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Half bunch fresh cilantro, roots and stems washed well and roughly chopped, leaves reserved for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 package of frozen pumpkin chunks, defrosted
- 4 cups vegetable broth or vegan chicken bouillon broth
- 1 cup full fat coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Coconut cream, lime, cilantro leaves and roasted pumpkin seeds to serve
In a large sauce pan over high heat, cook the onion in the coconut oil till softened. Add the aromatics: garlic, turmeric, ginger, cilantro and chilli, and cook until till fragrant. Add the pumpkin chunks and broth, bring to boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer to cook for 20min, or till the pumpkin is soft.
Once cooked, use a hand blender to puree the soup. If you don’t have one, blend the soup in a blender in batches, being sure not to over fill the pitcher as the hot liquid can overflow and burn.
Return to stove and add the coconut cream and heat through, but do not boil. Just before serving add the lime juice, salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve with extra lime wedges, a drizzle of coconut cream, pumpkin seeds and cilantro leaves.