Isn’t there something so comforting about a savory and hearty, gooey grilled cheese? Mmm crispy, buttery bread with melty cheese on a chilly day. But how about we level it up and add in some caramelized onions and meaty mushrooms? Yaasss!! Enjoy my vegan gooey meaty panini recipe!
- Bread of choice (gluten free is great but if you want a classic sandwich, opt for the crusty, hearty stuff)
- Vegan butter or olive oil
- Vegan cheese of choice (I like mixing mozzarella with cheddar and smoked gouda for a rich flavor profile)
- Arugula or spinach (optional)
- Panini press or grill pan
For carmelized onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- pinch of salt
- 1/4- cup reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 ounces mushrooms (such as maitake, oyster, and/or king trumpet), cut into large pieces
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
4 tablespoons vegan butter
2 sprigs thyme
2 garlic cloves, crushed
To make the onions:
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high until just beginning to smoke.
Arrange mushrooms in skillet in a single layer and cook until bottom side is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, toss mushrooms, and continue to cook, tossing often and reducing heat as needed to avoid scorching, until golden brown all over, about 5 minutes more.
Reduce heat to medium and add butter, thyme sprigs, and garlic to skillet. Tip skillet toward you so butter pools at bottom edge. Spoon foaming butter over mushrooms until butter smells nutty, about 4 minutes. Remove mushrooms from skillet with a slotted spoon.
To assemble the sandwich:
Heat panini press or grill pan to medium heat. Butter or oil as needed.
Butter or oil the outside of each bread slice.
Place cheese on each side then layer onions, mushrooms and greens on one side and top with the cheese only slice to make a sandwich.
Grill your sandwich evenly on both sides until golden brown and crispy on each side and cheese is melty. Enjoy!