On a recent trip to Vienna, I had the wonderful opportunity to cook with a Viennese chef at a super fun cooking class. I introduced him to vegan schnitzel and he introduced me to a very tasty vegan Austrian potato salad recipe! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 2 1/2 pounds red potatoes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup warm vegetable broth (you may also use vegan chicken bouillon)
- 1 tbsp estragon mustard (swap for dijon or brown mustard if you can’t find estragon)
- 5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper ,to taste
- 1 to 2 cups mache lettuce or pea tendrils
Cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes with their peel, remove peel and cut into thin slices while still warm. Place them in a medium to large serving bowl.
In a small bowl, add the vinegar, mustard, oil, and onions and whisk together to make a vinaigrette.
Pour warm broth over the potatoes and then pour in the vinaigrette blend.
Season to taste with the sugar, salt, and pepper and toss everything until well incorporated.
Top with lettuce and serve.