I love yummy appetizers! They are so fun to share and sometimes I make a meal of them just on their own! I’ve veganized my favorite appetizer from PF Changs, the veggie lettuce wraps, and now I’m sharing them with you! Enjoy ; )
Sauce for Tofu
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons wheat free tamari or BRAGG Liquid Aminos or lite soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon safflower or other high heat oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 14 oz block of extra firm tofu, pressed, drained and cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, diced
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8-10 Butter Lettuce Leaves (or lettuce wrap leave sof choice – cabbage, romaine, etc), for serving
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts or cashews for garnish
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions, for garnish
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoon wheat free tamari or BRAGG Liquid Aminos or lite soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
Prepare lettuce by removing several leaves 8-10, rinse, pat dry with a paper towel and place on serving plate.
To make Dipping Sauce:
Comine agave and warm water in a medium sauce pan. Add the remaining ingredients to the agave & water mix, turn to medium heat and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking approximately 5 minutes. Place the dipping sauce in a bowl for serving and set aside.
To make Tofu:
Prepare sauce first by adding the ingredients in a small bowl and setting aside.
Place high heat oil and sesame oil in a large skillet or wok.
On medium-high heat add cubed tofu and cook until a bit crispy on the outside and browned.
With the tofu still in the skillet add the sauce in along with water chestnuts, mushrooms, onion and garlic. Stir-fry for approximately 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
Place tofu in a bowl with a serving spoon and serve with lettuce leaves, nuts and green onion for sprinkling and dipping sauce so everyone can make their own wraps. Enjoy!