Summertime food is best when it’s light, delicious and easy to prepare. Nothing is better on a hot day, picnic or light meal on the patio than some crackers and dip or even tasty finger sandwiches. And you know what goes great on those? My easy, breezy, veganeesy, spreadable cashew cheese!
- 2 cups raw cashews
- Juice of ½ a lemon (more if you want a tangier taste but add little by little so as to not thin out the cheese too much)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (1/2 cup for cheesier flavor)
- 1 tablespoon mild yellow miso
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 ½ tablespoons granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Optional add-ins (i.e. sundried tomatoes, olives, artichokes, pepperoncinis, etc)
Put the cashews in a bowl and add several cups of filtered water. Let them soak for at least 2-3 hours or better yet, overnight. Once soaked, drain off the water, rinse off and dry them.
Place all ingredients, except the desired add ins, in a food processor until a smooth paste forms, stopping the food processor occasionally to scrape down, making sure all ingredients are fully incorporated, resulting in a similar consistency to ricotta cheese. Remove from food processor and add to a serving bowl.
Now you can add in your optional add ins and mix well, tasting one more time for seasoning.
At this time you can serve it as is as a dip or a spread. You can also form the cheese into a ball to make a cheese ball, refrigferate it for an hour, coat it in chopped nuts, herbs or anything you like. Serve with crackers and enjoy!
Cheese can be covered and refrigerated for 3-4 days.