It’s almost time for grilling season so why not have a little preview with these yummy and healthy bean burgers with grilled shrooms! Easily made gluten free these are packed with flavor as well as nutrients! Get grillin’ and start looking forward to warmer, sunnier days!
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, shredded and squeezed dry (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs (gluten free if desired)
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire or soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoonsolive oil
- 3 cups assorted mushrooms, sliced
- 4 vegan hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Veganaise, vegan garlic aioli and/or ketchup and mustard, for garnish
- Baby spinach or arugula, for garnish
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced avocado
Smash the beans in a bowl with a potato masher or fork until slightly chunky. Add the onion, walnuts, carrot, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, scallions, parsley and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce . Season with salt and pepper and mix with your hands until combined.
Spread the remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs on a plate. Form the bean mixture into 4 patties; lightly coat with the breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook until golden and slightly crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the burgers to a plate.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and the remaining 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce; season with salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms are slightly wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve the burgers on the buns with veganaise, aioli and/or ketchup and mustard, baby greens and mushrooms.Feel free to add tomatoes and/or avocado too!