I love repurposing leftovers! Mashed potatoes are pretty versatile when it comes to reusing them and now you have a new recipe! Vegan savory leftover mashed potato waffles! Great at breakfast or even at dinner time, these savory waffles are sure to be a hit in your home!
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup vegan buttermilk (¼ cup non-dairy milk with ¼ teaspoon lemon juice, allow to sit for 15 minutes)
- 2 egg replacers (Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg works great, you can also use EnerG or make your own: 1 egg = 1 tablespoon ground chia/flax seed mixed with 2 tablespoons of warm water, allow to thicken)
- 2 1/2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons chopped scallions or chives (omit if your mashed potatoes already have herbs or onions)
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (gluten free, if desired) *If your mashed potatoes have sour cream in them, they will need more flour as the mix will be to wet. Be sure to have extra flour on hand, at least ½ cup to add in and get the desired texture)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
*If your mashed potatoes are plain, add in 1 teaspoon powdered garlic as well as salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat the waffle baker and grease it with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, vegan buttermilk and egg replacer. Stir in the mashed potatoes, scallions and vegan cheese until well combined. Season with salt, pepper and if you are adding garlic powder, this is the time.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Fold the flour mixture into the potato mixture until it’s well combined.
- Scoop 1/2 to 2/3 cup (depending on the size of your waffle baker) of the mixture into the prepared waffle baker, spreading it into an even layer. (The potato mixture will not spread or expand as much as a regular waffle, so it’s important to spread it in an even layer.) Close the lid and let the waffle bake until golden brown. *If your waffle is too wet, add more flour to the mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time until you get a doughy consistency.
- Repeat the previous step with the remaining potato mixture.
- Serve the potato waffles topped with vegan sour cream and garnished with additional chopped scallions or chives.