It’s so hard for me to choose between red and green chilaquiles so this week I’m going to share my recipe for delicious red vegan chilaquiles and next week, green ; ) That way you can choose for yourself! Here we go!
- ½ of a medium white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- High heat oil, for sauteing
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 (28 oz.) can fire roasted whole tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce of choice
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups of tortilla chips of choice
- Latin style tofu scramble
- Black beans
- Vegan crumbled feta cheese or shredded cheddar, to sprinkle
- Lime wedges
- Vegan Sour cream, for drizzling
Prepare the sauce: In a medium pot over medium heat, heat about 2-3 tablespoons of water. Once heated, add the onions and garlic, and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until fragrant and translucent, adding more water as needed to prevent burning. Once cooked, add the onions and garlic into a high-speed blender along with the remaining ingredients and run until smooth.
To assemble: Add about 1 ½ cups of tortilla chips into the pot of sauce and gently toss with a large spoon until the chips are coated.
Transfer the saucey chips to a plate, being sure to shake off any excess sauce into the pot. Top the chips with tofu scramble, beans, cheese and garnishes of choice. Serve immediately and enjoy!