Brain, a complex structure of more than 100 billion neurons that are responsible for the control of the entire human body. You must be amazed to know that brain has two parts, the left, and the right brain. The left brain helps in processing the thoughts with logical reasoning, and the right brain drives the person to be creative and encourage new ideas. There is no doubt that whatever we do, is the action approved by the brain cells, but have you ever thought that the continuous functioning organ of the body also needs relaxation to bring peace. Peace is related to mental health. The claim stands still that mental health is equally as important as physical health.
In this discussion, we will share some therapies and methodologies by which you will be able to maintain good mental health. Still, before that, we need to know common cognitive illness and their remedies.
Cognitive Health And Illnesses: Several issues tend to disturb mental health and cause illness; some of them are as follows:
- Anxiety: It is a stressful condition in response to unwanted shortcomings. It is a feeling that develops due to social and specific phobia, or even due to stress. If this issue stays, it may hamper the overall quality of life.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder: One of the most common cognitive illnesses observed is the lack of concentration that develops due to continuous anxiety and stress. The un-treated issue may lead to a panic attack.
- Depression: Almost everyone has been through depression once in our lifetime. It is because of the uncertain, unwanted issues that come our way. An easy method to resolve this issue is to communicate with the people you like or feel comfortable with.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder: It falls under the category of anxiety disorder that is directly associated with recurrent thought and intrusive impulses. Generally, this issue hits the brain cells and leads to declining cognitive stability. Resolution to this mental illness is possible through behavior therapies.
Maintaining Mental Health Without Medication: Somehow, non-medicated mental health therapies are gaining popularity, and just to satisfy the needs people are doing masters in applied behavior analysis online to understand how to maintain mental health better.
Following are some ways through which you can maintain mental health:
Acceptance To Existence
No wonder that each one of us is different and have different cognitive abilities. Practically speaking, it is way easier to accept your uniqueness than practicing to become someone else. The first thing you need to do is to understand yourself and accept that you are no less than anyone. This way, you will be able to alleviate the inferiority complex that results in stress and depression. The next step you may need is to practice mindfulness. Mindfulness refers to the state where you deliberately focus on what is happening and what is going wrong. You will be able to evaluate the issues that need immediate attention. The amazing thing is that by self-analysis, you will be able to know your strengths along with the weaknesses. Hence, you can have better control over things.
Prefer Responding Over Reacting
We know that we are impulsive. Researchers claim that your mental health gets highly effected if you start responding than reacting. Generally, people are not aware that people habitual to react are less productive than the people who respond. It is because when you try to respond, there is a complete thought process involved. This thought process not only helps you to maintain your cognitive health but also helps the brain to function more efficiently. This methodology tends to increase productivity and reduces negative thoughts, as well.
Discuss Your Feelings
Have you ever thought about what it takes to initiate a conversation, a simple icebreaker. But if the person is an introvert, it takes a lot of courage to go beyond nature. Similarly, it is a difficult task to do, but it is one of the most amazing things to do. Start talking about your feelings, start cracking conversations as sharing your feelings tends to improve mental health by reducing negativity. The key element here is to identify the right person to talk. You do not have to share your feelings with everyone. The comfortable conversation is the key to mental health.
Physical Activities Improve Mental Health
Health professionals suggest that a normal person must have 30 minutes of physical activities. These activities do not mean going to a gym or any other hardcore exercise but refer to the physical activities that you can enjoy. Where you can express your feelings through physical activities, if you are an employed person, you can utilize your lunch hour for planning some physical activity. Practicing this methodology, you will not only feel better mentally, but you will also feel physically better as well.
Health experts and yoga trainers claim that meditation is the key player in maintaining mental health. Researches claim that if you are not able to do meditation, you can just try to relax and breathe slowly as slowing down the breathing process is bound to reduce arousal and stress.
Now let’s discuss a few benefits associated with the maintenance of mental health.
Advantages Of Good Mental Health: Following are some of the most common benefits observed by the people practicing the therapies discussed in the discussion:
- Maintaining cognitive health improves the quality of life.
- It helps to monitor the overall health and live a better life.
- It allows you to work with the full concentration that was not possible in case of any cognitive issue.
- It develops a sense of emotional well being.
- It keeps you away from the triggers that cause stress and depression.
- More controlled lifestyle.
Conclusion: There is a misconception that people who face anxiety or panic attacks cannot regain their cognitive health. There are simple methodologies and therapies available that ensure that cognitive health can be restored, and the person can live a happy life. More often, people with such issues are highly sensitive; such people prefer to maintain isolation that tends to increase stress, depression, and anxiety. All we need to do is, help such people to recover and relive their life.