This time of year we will be entertaining quite a bit so it’s always good to have a delicious appetizer or even breakfast dish on hand. These “cheesy” cauliflower poppers are like cauliflower tater totts but all vegan, gluten free and full of guilt free taste!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoon vegan heavy cream (dairy free heavy cream = 1 block of silken tofu (12-ounces) and 1/2 cup of plain soy milk. Blend in blender until thick and creamy and there are no more lumps )
- 2 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/3 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 4 vegan egg whites (1 egg white = 1 tablespoon plain agar powder dissolved in 1 tablespoon water, whipped, chilled, and whipped again.)
- 1 teaspoon finely minced chives
- salt & pepper to taste
- oil for frying
In a medium saucepan, add the florets, heavy cream and butter and heat on medium until melted an warm, with the cauliflower being nice and soft.
Add the cauliflower and melted cream and butter long with the cheese to a food processor and blend until still chunky – kind of like a cooked oatmeal consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
Chill for at least half an hour. Fold 1/3 of the “eggs” into the cauliflower mixture to lighten it up. Then fold the cauliflower mixture into the rest of the “eggs” and gently mix until combined. For best results, chill for another half hour or they won’t hold their shape as well.
Fit a pastry bag with a round or star tube with about a 3/4 inch opening. Spray the inside of the bag with nonstick spray. Gently squeeze out 1 inch sections onto a greased cookie sheet, cutting with a butter knife as you go.
When finished, bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes (or longer if you’re skipping the frying) until puffed and slightly browned. Remove from the oven and serve – or heat 1/4 inch of oil in a saute pan and when it’s very hot add the poppers. It doesn’t need long, a minute per side to turn them golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately.