Who doesn’t love Mexican food? Well these guys are sure to please and healthy twist on the traditional flauta will definitely be the feather in your healthy cooking cap! PLus you can make your own fresh pico de gallo for extra zest and brownie points! Enjoy!
- 1 Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 1 Poblano Pepper, seeded and diced
- 13.4 ounce can Black Beans
- 1 Roma Tomato, finely diced
- 2 Scallions, finely diced, saving whites and greens separately
- 1 Lime, halved
- 1 tablespoon Southwest Spice Blend
- 6-8 Tortillas (corn, flour or my personal fave, Siete brand cassava or Almond flour tortillas)
- ½- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese
- 4 teaspoon vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Salt and pepper
- Guacamole (for topping)
- Vegan Sour Cream (for topping)
- Vegan crumbled feta cheese (for topping)
In a small bowl, combine tomato, scallion whites, juice of half a lime. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add remaining beans and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 2-3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup reserved bean liquid. Simmer until warmed through, 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in butter. Remove pot from heat; mash beans with a potato masher or fork until mostly smooth. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
Spread tortillas with mashed beans. Place a small amount of filling on one half of each tortilla, then sprinkle with cheese. Roll up tortillas, starting with filled sides, to create flautas. Place seam sides down on a plate. (if you’re working with Siete tortillas, warm them briefly on the griddle or pan so they are easier to work with and don’t break)