Comfort food is always welcomed, especially when it’s chilly outside! Unfortunately, our favorite comfort foods can be bad for our waistline so it’s always fun to have hints of comfort food in dishes that are a tad bit healthier. I love my cauliflower mac n’ cheese as the cauliflower is used in place of pasta, making it naturally gluten free and sneaking in a great veggie! You can also mix in brocoli or even some smoky vegan tempeh bacon for added lean protein with a flavorful kick! I hope you enjoy it!
- Salt, for water
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- vegan butter or high heat oil, to coat the pan
- 1 cup vegan heavy cream (dairy free heavy cream = 1 block of silken tofu (12-ounces) and 1/2 cup of plain soy milk. Blend in blender until thick and creamy and there are no more lumps )
- 2 ounces vegan cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups shredded vegan cheddar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly minced garlic
- Bread crumbs, for topping (gluten free if desired)
Optional add ins (1/2 cup to 1 cup of any of these):
- Tempeh bacon
- Vegan chicken
- Marinated tofu
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
Coat the baking dish well with vegan butter or high heat oil.
Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.
Bring the heavy cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Add any add ins you would like, mixing well to fully coat and incorporate.
Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and sprinkle bread crumbs, then bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes.