In just a little while, we will be getting ready for the main event and pie season is on. So for those who are starting friendsgiving celebrations, office or school parties, kick the season off wit my yummy vegan sweet potato pie recipe!
- Pie crust of choice
- 1 lb sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut cream
- 2 vegan chia or flax eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour of choice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Melted vegan butter, for crust
Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover them with water, then bring to a boil on the stovetop. Boil for 45-50 minutes, or until super soft.
Preheat oven to 350°F
Drain the boiling water and run the potatoes under very cold water. The skin should peel off easily at this point. Allow to cool until easy to handle. Slice the potatoes into a couple large chunks, then place into a mixing bowl.
Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the potatoes on medium-high speed until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on high speed until smooth and combined. Spread filling into prepared pie crust. Brush the edges of the crust with melted butter.
Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the center of the pie is only slightly jiggly. A toothpick inserted into the center of the pie should come out mostly clean. After 30 minutes and if desired, place a pie crust shield on top of the pie to prevent the edges from over-browning.
Place the pie on a cooling rack and allow to cool for at least 1 hour at room temperature before serving. The pie will slightly deflate as it cools; this is normal. Decorate with whipped cream. Cover leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.