These days, everyone is looking for healthier alternatives to their favorite dishes. Pizza is number one on the list and be you gluten free or just watching your weight, pizza crust is not a friend to us. But it can be when you swap out some ingredients for plant based ones so you get a tasty, crispy crust for guilt-free pizzas, breadsticks and beyond! try this version made with antioxidant packed sweet potatoes or cauliflower!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (skinned, cooked and mashed) (If you’d like to use cauliflower, use florets from 1 head of cauliflower, “riced” in a food processor)
- 1 1/2 cups almond, quinoa or chickpea flour
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seeds mixed with 4 tablespoons water until gel-like)
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well until fully incorporated.
Coat a foil lined pizza pan or baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray .
Using a spatula, spread the dough evenly into a large circle if using a pizza pan about 1/2 inch thick, or a rectangle if using the baking sheet.
Bake for 30 minutes until center is firm and edges are lightly browned.
Remove crust from oven, if making pizza, add toppings of choice, and bake for another 5-7 minutes. If using as crostini or breadsticks, remove from oven, brush with herbed olive oil or vegan butter, cut into slices or wedges, and bake for an additional 3 minutes.