Ok so there are opposing views on whether coffee is good or bad for you. I’m not saying that you can’t have the occasional latte but if you depend on it to wake up in the morning, then you need to kick the habit.
Our bodies, if functioning properly and full on healthy fuel, don’t need stimulants to keep us going. If you are getting enough rest, exercise and eating well, you really don’t need to be suckin’ down cup after cup of hot caffeine. There are a number of ways to fell energized and satisfied all day long without dehydrating your body or using stimulants and tons of sugar. Try any of these, depending on where you are on the healthy scale or the severity of your addiction to java!
1) Hot cocoa – Yep! If you really crave a hot beverage in the morning over the actual caffeine, this is a great way to make the transition. Some folks can easily switch to tea but some still want a thicker, more rich flavor. My healthy hot cocoa (not junky instant stuff) is full of healthy antioxidants, flavor and has just enough sweetness to keep you off the joe! try this:
- 1 cup almond milk (it’s thick and packed with protein so it will keep you satisfied)
- 1 tablespoon organic dark 100% cocoa
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla powder
- 1-2 teaspoons raw organic agave or stevia
Heat your almond milk to desired temperature and pour it into your favorite mug that has all the rest of the ingredients already waiting for it. Mix/stir and enjoy. You get a bit of caffeine from the cocoa but non of the acidic and dehydrating properties found in coffee.
2) Tea – As mentioned, not everyone can switch from coffee to tea very easily. There is something rich and “thick” about coffee that tea just can’t replicate. Or can it? My fave is chai tea with a splash of almond milk. It’s full of body and really does the trick! Teecino is also a fabulous alternative to coffee and a healthy one at that. In a variety of flavors and roasts, you won’t want to go back to the grind. Haha! Throughout the day, sipping mint, green or jasmine tea can help keep you away from the coffee pot too!
If you’re really brave, hot water with lemon and cayenne or hot water with Cinnamon works wonders. Cleansing your digestive system and palette while stimulating your metabolism, each gives you the little kick you might be missing from your morning cup o’ joe!
3) Juice – Now, for coffee addicts, switching to a giant green juice or smoothie may not seem like an easy change up. But if and when you’re ready to supercharge your morning, this is the best way to do it! Invest in a good juicer and whip up a great veggie pick me up full of vitamins, minerals and pep! Here are some of my morning faves:
- Green Eyed Monster – Cucumber, parsley, celery, spinach, a bit of ginger, half an apple and half a lemon
- Dreamsicle – Carrot and apple
- Pink Dream – Carrot, apple and beet
- Spicy Lemonade – Apple. lemon and ginger
4) Miso Soup – For breakfast? YES! It’s packed with protein, it’s nice and warm and you can put whatever you want in it. It’s the soup that east like a meal and will keep you satisfied and healthy till the lunch bell rings!
5) Oat or Quinoa Cereal – Hot cereals are a great alternative to coffee because the whole grains give you pep while keeping you full. If you can just add 10 minutes to your morning routine to eat breakfast, it will change your whole outlook on life!
No matter what you choose, or if you do a combo of all of these, kicking the coffee habit will change your energy levels, health and even your wallet size if you’re a chain coffee lover! Enjoy!