The food in Sri Lanka is delicious but Coconut Sambol was my absolute favorite! So fresh and reminiscent of Caribbean flavors, it’s a perfect side dish as well as fun to add on top of salad or even in sandwiches for a punch of flavor!
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes (less if you want it less spicy)
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 cup fresh ground coconut (fresh coconut grated or in the food processor for a fluffy rice-like consistency)
In a mortar with pestle, add in chili flakes, paprika, ginger, lime, salt and sugar. Pound and mash with pestle for about a minute.
Add in the onions and mash for about 5 minutes, constantly scraping the mortar to make sure all the ingredients mix well.
Add in the ground coconut and mash for about 5 minutes, constantly scraping the mortar to make sure all the ingredients mix well.
Taste and season per your taste (salt, sugar, lime, etc) and serve with rice, bread, string hoppers, soup, on top of salad or in a sandwich. Yum!