Every homeowner will want to live in an attractive and healthy property. However, it is possible your home could be filled with various hazards that could potentially damage your physical wellbeing each day.
Rather than taking chances with yours and your loved ones’ safety, you should read the five health hazards to avoid in the home.
It’s almost impossible to detect carbon monoxide (CO) by smell, sound, or sight. A low exposure of CO can, however, lead to dizziness and nausea, while severe exposure could cause vision impairment and vomiting. To protect both you and your loved ones from CO, you should install a carbon monoxide detector and regularly service your water heater and HVAC unit.
Mold and Moisture
If your home is subjected to excessive moisture, it could lead to the growth of mold and the development of various health issues, such as allergies, asthma, and other respiratory problems. Plus, it can also damage your property’s structural integrity.
Mold can also grow almost anywhere within the home, such as on your:
It is imperative to clean a moist area as soon as possible to prevent its growth. For example, if your property experiences a flash flood or a leaking pipe, you should immediately contact water damage contractors for an emergency cleanup.
If you live in a house or apartment that was built before 1978, it is possible it contains lead paint. It is also important to note that your pipes might feature lead if they were installed prior to 1987.
A high exposure to lead can cause various health issues for both adults and children, such as high blood pressure, fertility problems, and kidney damage. Children routinely exposed to lead could also develop a lower IQ and impaired bone and muscle growth.
While lead is now banned, many older properties still contain toxic lead paint, which is why you must have your home reviewed by a qualified inspector.
According to the EPA, one in fifteen US homes has elevated radon levels, which is a common cause of cancer. The harmful gas is caused by the breakdown of a radioactive yet natural element, such as uranium in soil and rock. Once it breaks down, it can seep into a property’s foundation cracks.
As it is an invisible, odorless gas, it can be difficult to detect. Thankfully, you can buy a DIY test kit from a home improvement store, or you could hire a pro to test for radon in your property.
Unfortunately, there are some pet infestations that can damage your property’s structural integrity and health.
For example, cockroaches and mice can trigger asthma or allergies and they can also contaminate your food with bacteria while bed bugs can cause various mental health issues, such as anxiety, depression, and insomnia.
If you suspect you are living with a pest infestation, you should immediately call the professionals to quickly tackle the problem to protect both your health and property.