As we settle into our routines, it’s nice to find comfort in a good meal to melt away the troubles of the day. Also, due to crazy schedules, it’s always good to have a big pot of yummy to eat all week long to save time and money! Nothing says comfy, cozy and yummy like baked potato soup!
- 2 packages vegan bacon, roughly chopped (you may also substitute 1 16oz block of tofu, pressed, drained and marinated in tamari and liquid smoke)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 medium red potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups vegan heavy cream (1 block of silken tofu (12-ounces) and 1/2 cup of plain soy milk. Blend in blender until thick and creamy and there are no more lumps )
- chopped chives, for garnish
- vegan shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
1. In a 6- to 8-quart pot over medium heat, fry/saute bacon until crisp.
2. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving half for garnish. In the same pot, cook onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent. Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Whisk in flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add stock and half of the vegan bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for thicker, creamier texture. Add in cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Adjust thickness by adding water or stock. Soup should have a creamy consistency.
6. Season to taste, and garnish with toppings.
Cooks’ notes: Soak diced potatoes in cold water until ready to use to keep them from turning brown. To make bacon easier to chop, lightly freeze