We’re teetering on the boundaries of spring and summer so why not combine garden fresh vegetables with the grill? Perfect as a delicious appetizer or a fun afternoon snack, this veggie bruschetta is bursting with flavor and nutrition. Fun to make with kids, even better with a glass of wine, haha! Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, tamari or Bragg’s liquid Aminos
- 1 cup chopped artichoke (about the contents of 1 can)
- 3 large roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 handful basil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 10 black olives, pitted and chopped
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Loaf of french bread (or crusty bread of choice), sliced and lightly grilled, for serving
1. Saute the onion in a skillet with the oil (use vegetable broth instead of oil for a lower calorie dish)
2. Turn up the heat, add the eggplant and stir-fry until soft, approximately 10 minutes. Lower the heat, add the garlic, tamari, artichoke and tomatoes, followed by the basil, mustard, and olives. Gently saute for a further 5 minutes.
3. Season and serve on grilled French bread or crusty bread slices.