This time of year we are trekking all over the place to visit family and friends. But if you happen to have some time to squeeze in some holiday family fun outside of the usual shopping, eating and movies, try visiting a holiday attraction.
Heading over to small festivals are great fun as many are hosted by non-profit organizations and proceeds help all sorts of folks during the holidays. Hitting up carnivals and bazaars are a nice way to get out of the house and check out unique things, people and even get some gift ideas.
But if you are lucky enough to find yourself in a town that has a big holiday show, festival or attraction, do your best to pack up the car and make some fun family memories at one this year! If you’re on a budget, these can be very cheap holidays too!
Here are some of the top ones around!
- The Rockefeller Center Tree & Ice Skating Rink – NY, NY
- Norman Rockwell Street at Christmas – Stockbridge, MA – The town and street that Norman Rockwell made famous by his painting, recreates the look every year!
- Holiday Boat Parade – Ft Lauderdale, FL – Eat your heart out Macy’s, this parade floats!
- Santa’s Enchanted Forest – Miami, FL – Christmas and carnival all in one!
- Victorian Christmas – Berlin, MD – Spend the holidays like they used to!
- Christmasota – Twin Cities, MN – The name says it all!
- Sculpture Garden Skating – Washington, D.C. – Skate outdoors in our nation’s capital!
- Shadrack’s Christmas Wonderland – West Knoxville & Bristol, TN- This water sports company really does up the holidays!
- Silver Dollar City – Branson, MO – The Vegas of the midwest has something for everyone this time of year. Shows, lights and so much more!
- Oglebay Festival of Lights – Wheeling, WV – An enchanting festival of lights
- Smoky Mountain Winterfest – Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, TN – 3 cities team together with local attractions (like Dollywood!!) to create a very merry holiday.
- Trail of Lights – Austin, TX – An impressive lighted tree in a highly festive town, you can’t go wrong celebrating the holidays in Austin.
- Magical Nights of Lights – Lake Lanier, GA – The world’s largest holiday lights extravaganza!
- Holiday Festival of Lights – Charleston, S.C. – Lights, sand sculptures, Santa’s village & more!
- Enchanted Garden of Lights – Chattanooga, TN – An LED powered holiday fun fest!
- Louisville MEGA Cavern – Louisville, KY – An underground holiday light show!
- Southern Lights – Lexington, KY – Beautiful drive through lights.
- Fantasy of Lights – Pine Mountain, GA – Lights complete with holiday village!
- Mission Inn – Riverside, CA – a dazzling holiday spectacle!
- Disney Parks – Orlando, FL & Anaheim, CA – Disney is magical as is but nothing beats visiting the parks over the holidays. And if you’re worried about what to eat, be sure to check out my theme park healthy dining guide!
Wishing you a super fun holiday!