Looking to save some money, be super creative and be green this Halloween? The most eco and budget friendly tips for fantastic Halloween costumes is to make your own. Whether you’re crafty or not, you can go as elaborate or a simple as you like. Plus you will avoid hearing, “OMG, we’re wearing the same costume” at any spooky festivities!
Personally, I love to raid local thrift stores or hit up garage sales year round. I not only get great inspiration but we save a lot of moola by not buying pre-packaged costumes. I put together my costume by just recycling people’s discarded clothes and jazzing it up with wigs and accessories. If you or a friend has a sewing machine, you can alter and embellish the garments for a unique disguise.
And if you really want to play it cheap and/or clever, plays on words are great. Use a big box and decorate it to look like your favorite cereal. Cut a holes out for your head and arms, grab a plastic knife & be a cereal killer! Or cheaper yet, tease your hair & pin socks and underwear to your clothes and voila, you’re static cling!
Here are just a few costumes ideas if you’re looking to DIY it this year!:
- Make a computer monitor to go over your head and paint your face like a bug. Voila, computer virus!
- Get a cop hat and give out citations to people in crazy costumes – be the fashion police!
- Toilet paper mummy
- A present (wrap a big box in wrapping paper, cut holes for arms, legs and head) or jack in the box
- Cardboard box robot (same as present but paint it silver and use air conditioner tubing for arms and legs)
- Rubics cube (same as the present, but paint the colored squares on each side)
- Duo costume – Pair of dice (same as present, just 2 boxes painted like dice)
- Jack and Coke – One wears a Jack Daniels tee, the other a coca cola one
The list is endless so put on your thinking caps and get craftin’! Happy Green Halloween!!