Who says you need a reason to give a gift to someone you love? Not us! In fact, gift-giving is one of the best ways to show someone how much you care about them and appreciate them, no matter if it’s a close friend, a significant other, a co-worker or someone you want to thank. And not only will spreading the love make your recipient happy, but it will also do the same for you. Studies show that giving others presents stimulates the brain’s reward circuitry even more than receiving them.
The Best Just-Because Presents
The beauty of a just-because gift is that it doesn’t have to be for any reason in particular, so don’t wait until a birthday or anniversary to surprise your worthy recipient. What’s more, these presents don’t need to be elaborate or over-the-top. They just have to show your loved one how much you care. Here are some of the most thoughtful just-because gifts for your perfect out-of-the-blue present:
- A Chocolate Gift Box — We think edible presents make the very best just because gifts since you know they’ll get used! You can’t go wrong with a chocolate gift box featuring decadent chocolate bars in a wide variety of flavors. Be sure to mix things up with dark and milk chocolate options in nutty, fruity and creamy varieties to encourage taste-testing and sharing.
- A Gift Card to a Nice Restaurant — A nice dinner is one of the best ways to show someone you love them or appreciate them, but cooking or dining out doesn’t provide the same exciting present-opening experience. If you’re after a memorable unwrapping, give your recipient a gift card to their favorite restaurant or a nice place they wouldn’t normally go.
- A Bag of Specialty Coffee or Tea — Gourmet coffee beans or specialty tea make amazing just because gifts since you know they’re bound to be enjoyed. We love the idea of focusing on presents that upgrade day-to-day experiences. So if your recipient loves to sip coffee but they don’t normally spring for the nicer stuff, this present is sure to make their morning cup all the more enjoyable.
- Homemade Baked Goods — Who doesn’t love coming home to the pleasant aroma of something baking in the oven? Invest in some high-quality baking chocolate and whip up a gourmet version of your recipient’s favorite sweet treat. Cookies, brownies, cakes, pies, breads — choose something that you know they’ll gobble up. You may also want to consider making them something nostalgic or attempting to recreate a favorite they haven’t had in a while.
- A Few Self-Care Essentials — Giving a just-because surprise to a particularly stressed-out loved one? Build them the self-care gift basket of their wildest dreams to help them blow off some steam and settle into a more relaxed state of mind. Self-care goodie bags can be packed with candles, bath bombs, bath soaks, shower melts, face masks, skin care, lip balm, slippers, a robe or anything else you think will help them recreate an at-home spa day.
- A Gift Card for a Massage — A gift card for a massage is another excellent option for the recipient with a lot on their plate. Massage therapy is proven to help reduce stress while also treating muscle pain, soreness and tension, which means it will help your recipient in more ways than one. If you’re confident about your loved one’s schedule, you could even surprise them by booking the massage yourself and surprising them on the day of their service.
- A Special Piece of Jewelry — Jewelry is a gift traditionally reserved for special occasions like anniversaries and birthdays, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be given on a random Wednesday for no reason at all! Pick out something that’s meaningful to your loved one or which goes with a special occasion outfit they’ve been planning. A nice pair of custom earrings crafted by master jewelers or a new watch will always be appreciated.
- A Homemade Holiday Ornament — Here’s the thing about Christmas ornaments: since you want your recipient to use them during the holidays, you really don’t want to wait until Christmas to give them. That’s why homemade holiday ornaments make excellent just-because gifts in the months leading up to the holidays. Give them an ornament that celebrates their personal style or something they love so they know you hand picked it just for them.
- A Bouquet of Flowers — Flowers are the ultimate just-because present that you know will be enjoyed by your recipient. Whether you opt for a classic bouquet of roses or a spectacular arrangement featuring the exotic and unexpected, you can count on a big reaction from your recipient. The key to nailing the surprise flower gift is to have it delivered to them when they least expect it, such as during the workday or while they’re at the gym.
- A Houseplant — If your loved one is a green thumb or loves to keep houseplants in their living space, this is the perfect way to let them know that you’re listening and you care. Plants give the same feeling as a bouquet of flowers, only they last much longer and won’t wilt after a few days. If you love the traditional floral idea but want to give a plant that will last, consider the gift of a potted orchid. These are relatively easy to care for and provide a fresh pop of color that will last much longer than a standard bouquet.
The trick to picking a just-because gift that will charm your recipient is to go for something that honors their likes and personality without going too far over the top. Keep the big gifts for milestones and special occasions and stick to elevated everyday essentials — gourmet chocolate or specialty coffee, for example — for those in-between gifts where you want to make sure your recipient knows you care.