Every country is known for certain things that make them unique. As with every country, Canada has lots of interesting places to see and history to learn. Besides beautiful landscapes and large cities full of the friendliest people you will ever meet, Canada boasts some curious facts that make it truly unique. If you have ever wondered what makes Canada so special, here is a list of 10 crazy facts about Canada!
- Canada’s Flag: Canada is unique to many places in that it did not have its own flag for the first 100 years that it existed. It finally got its own flag on February 15th, 1965.
- Maple Syrup: 77% of the world’s maple syrup is produced in Quebec. Many people think of Vermont in the United States as being the source for all the world’s breakfast syrup, but actually, Quebec gets the honor.
- Fresh Water: 20% of the freshwater in the entire world is located in Canada. The country has more freshwater lakes that any other country in the world. These lakes contribute to Canada’s famous beauty and they also help keep Canada, and the world, environmentally successful.
- Old Quebec: The oldest part of famous Quebec, is walled off and has been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Not many countries not in Europe can boast of such a thing and the city is well worth the visit.
- Banff Nationals Park: While also being one of the most beautiful places on earth, Banff national park has created overpasses for wildlife to cross safely over the highways. These animal overpasses are covered with trees and shrubs and animals use them daily to safely cross the road to other parts of the park.
- Loonies and Toonies: Canadian money has fun names, most famously, their one and two dollar coins. The loonie is the one dollar coin and the name references the loon that is present on the one side. The toonie, is the two dollar coin and is so called because it is worth two dollars.
- World’s Northernmost Settlement: Alert, Nunavut is the most Northern place with permanent inhabitants in the world. It’s amazing to think that this place has been inhabited for so long despite the challenges of living there. The average low in this area during the colder part of the year is -32.19 C.
- The World’s Longest Coastline: Canada boasts the longest coastline in the world which is bordered by three oceans. If you tried to walk all of this coastline, it would take you four and a half years to do so!
- Lots of Forest: Canada is home to 10% of the world’s forests. Canada also boasts 30 % of the world’s boreal forests. Canada is a huge part of the reason that the Earth has clean air and clean water for so many people.
- The National Parks: Canada’s national parks are huge. In fact, they are bigger than some countries! The Nahanni National Park reserve in the Northwest Territories is 30,050 square kilometers which makes it bigger than Israel! The national parks in Canada also boast impressive waterfalls, wildlife preserves and some of the best camping in the world.
Canada is already well-known to be one of the loveliest places to live on Earth. Between easy immigration policies, a booming economy and free healthcare, there are a myriad of reasons to move to Canada. If you are thinking of moving to Canada or are going to visit, this list of cool facts, and a helpful site about Canadian products will make it that much easier to enjoy your time in the country.