This Spring Holiday Weekend, we are graced with both Easter and the beginning of Passover. Both holidays mean family gatherings and lots of food and sweet treats so how do you shake up a traditional meal with new flavors and healthier options? Check out our fun East-over brunch recipes and be sure to check out last year’s Easter recipes as well as last year’s Passover recipes for further meal time inspiration!
Easter Bunny’s Ambrosia Salad
- 1/2 cup vegan heavy cream (store bought or home made – 1 block of silken tofu (12-ounces) and 1/2 cup of plain soy milk. Blend in blender until thick and creamy and there are no more lumps )
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 ounces vegan sour cream
- 6 ounces vegan mini marshmallows, approximately 3 cups
- 1 cup clementine orange segments, approximately 6 clementines
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- 1 cup toasted, chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup drained maraschino cherries
Place the cream and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment and whip until stiff peaks are formed. Add the sour cream and whisk to combine. Add the marshmallows, orange, pineapple, coconut, pecans and cherries and stir to combine. Transfer to a glass serving bowl, cover and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.
Tarragon Tofu Salad in Avocado Baskets
- 1 16oz block firm tofu, pressed, drained and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons veganaise
- 1 chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- salt and pepper
- 2-4 small ripe avocados
Mix all the ingredients, except for the avocados well, to create an “egg salad” type consistency. When all fully incorporated, slice the avocados in half, remove the pits and scoop generous amounts of the tofu salad into the well in the avocado left by the pit. Serve and enjoy!
Crunchy Banana Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound unsalted vegan butter, melted and cooled
- 2 egg replacers, prepared
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 bananas)
- 1 cup medium-diced ripe bananas (1 banana)
- 1 cup small-diced walnuts
- 1 cup granola
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Dried banana chips, granola, or shredded coconut, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Line 18 large muffin cups with paper liners. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the melted butter and blend. Combine the egg replacers, milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas, and add them to the flour-and-butter mixture. Scrape the bowl and blend well. Don’t over mix.
Fold the diced bananas, walnuts, granola, and coconut into the batter. Spoon the batter into the paper liners, filling each 1 to the top. Top each muffin with dried banana chips, granola, or coconut, if desired. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly, remove from the pan, and serve.
East-Over Spring Fritata
- Vegan Omelet batter (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons vegan whipping cream (great brands are SoyaToo or Mimicream)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 12 ounces asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1/4 to 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tomato, seeded, diced
- 3 ounces shredded vegan cheddar or mozzarella cheese
Preheat the broiler.Whisk the omelet batter, cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a medium bowl to blend. Set aside.
Heat the oil and butter in a 9 1/2-inch-diameter nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus and saute until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the tomato and a pinch of salt and saute 2 minutes longer.
Pour the omelet mixture over the asparagus mixture and cook for a few minutes until it start to set. Sprinkle with cheese. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the frittata is almost set but the top is still runny, about 2 minutes.
Place the skillet under the broiler. Broil until the top is set and golden brown on top, about 5 minutes. Let stand 2 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, loosen the frittata from skillet and slide onto a plate.
Vegan Omelet Batter
- 3 cups (24-ounces) silken tofu
- 1/4 cup plain soymilk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup potato starch or cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce/tamari or liquid aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Blend ingredients together until smooth.
Grown Ups Fruit Candy Punch
- 1 can (20-ounce) crushed pineapple in heavy syrup
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 bottle (750 ml) chilled Champagne
In a large punch bowl or pitcher, stir pineapple, lemon juice, cherry juice, rum, and brandy to blend. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Add Champagne just before serving.