The holidays are near and it’s time to get a bit more fancy schmancy in the kitchen! Whether you want to try something fun and new with your family or your cooking to impress, these little vegan chicken and mushroom puffs, will make you look like a gourmand without needing to spend a day in culinary school! Perfect to make into small, appetizer style puffs or full entree style Wellingtons, cook up a perfect fall/winter meal in no time!
- 1 sheet (half a 17-1/4-ounce package) frozen vegan puff pastry sheet
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onions
- 4 ounces coarse-chopped mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp rubbed sage (or 1/4 tsp ground sage)
- 2 cups roughly torn chunks of cooked vegan chicken, chilled
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter, for brushingLet puff pastry thaw while you make the filling. Preheat oven to 400 F.
Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add sweet onions, mushrooms, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Saute until sweet onions are translucent and the mushroom liquid has evaporated. Stir in parsley and set aside to cool to room temperature.
Mix cream cheese, Dijon mustard, thyme, and sage until combined. Set aside.
Roll out thawed puff pastry on a lightly floured surface into a 14-inch square. (Rolling between two sheets of plastic wrap makes easy work of this task.) Cut the square into 4 equal 7-inch squares.
To assemble, divide cream cheese mixture equally amongst the squares, then top with mushroom mixture, and chilled chicken chunks or strips. Brush edges of the puff pastry squares with melted butter. Bring corners of the pastry square to the center, sealing all edges to contain the filling, created little purses. Place seam-side down on an ungreased baking sheet and brush with melted butter.
Bake bundles for 25 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!